At Bowes Brooks we offer a friendly and personal service. Whether it’s effective tax planning, someone to take the strain of HMRC deadlines or advice Bowes Brooks are your Partners in Accounting.

We can do a lot more than just fill in your tax return – whilst we don’t have a secret agreement with HMRC we are trained to know exactly what you can claim for so can make sure you’re not paying too much tax. Our promise: Fixed Fees, unlimited phone calls, unlimited meetings and fee protection as standard. Initial meeting and advice always free.

Learn more about our proactive approach to accountancy...

I'm a New Business ▶

I'm a Growing Business ▶

Accountancy Services to suit you

Which Business Type are You? View our accountancy packages tailored to fit common business types...

  • Sole Trader

    For sole traders, let’s get your bookkeeping up to scratch and ensure you maintain an efficient personal tax position.

  • Limited Company

    Compliance and company accounts submitted to HMRC as standard but let’s talk about your company’s financial strategy too.

  • Sub Contractor

    Are you involved with the CIS scheme? We can help you with registration details and securing an efficient personal tax position.

  • Partnership

    Partnerships are a great way to do business. Let’s ensure your partnership agreements are ship shape and liability is split evenly.

  • New Business

    A lot of businesses fail in the first few years without proper cashflow planning. Let us help you get it right and succeed.

  • Services to suit

    We know all businesses are different but for most, one of our packages provides the peace of mind that your statutory requirements are taken care of and at a price that isn't going to change.

Simple Pricing

Try our refreshing approach to pricing. Pricing that does exactly what it says on the tin...

Your Partners In Accounting

Proactive, advice giving, number crunching local accountants.

"Jess is AMAZING! Nothing is a problem, everything is done in good time and she’s rearranged my structure so I now pay much less tax."
Sara, Beach Kids Ltd

Help & Advice

Articles from our blog written by Jessica Brooks

Further changes to how you can pay HMRC

Important Information about Changes to Paying HMRC

HMRC are making some changes to the ways customers can make payments.

The pay at the Post Office service will be withdrawn from 15th December 2017 and from 13th January 2018, HMRC will no longer accept payment by personal credit card. Debit cards and corporate credit cards will continue to be accepted.

There are still many ways to pay including:

• Direct Debit

• Online or telephone banking (including Faster Payments, Bacs and CHAPS)

• Debit/Corporate Credit card online or by telephone.

Just remember to pay your bill by 15th December 2017 if you want to go to the Post Office

and by 13th January 2018 if you want to use a personal credit card

Can I pay my tax bill with a credit card?

For whatever reason some people would like or need to pay their tax liability by credit card.  It can help spread the payments or free up cash that is needed elsewhere in your business.

Up until now you have been able to do so.  However from 13th January 2018 HMRC will no longer be accepting payments from personal credit cards.  Corporate, Business and Commercial credit cards are not affected and you will still be able to make payments by debit card.

What's the reason for this? - You might have heard on the news that there has been a change in EU law regarding merchants passing on the cost of credit card fees to the consumer, from 13th January 2018 they are no longer allowed to.  And it is good news really for all consumers.. but not if you wanted to pay your tax bill by personal credit card...

Within the change in EU law HMRC are also included as 'merchants' so they are not allowed to pass on the credit card charges to the consumer.  Currently HMRC is only allwed to accept credit card payments on the basis that there is 'no cost to the public purse' so this new law will mean that HMRC cannot accept credit card payments from the date the law changes.

So if you are intending to pay your tax bill by credit card you have until 13th January 2018 to do so.  This ultimately means that you cannot leave your self assessment until the last minute.  You will need to do your self assessment in good time so that you know what you owe and can pay what you owe by 13th January 2018. Don't be caught out unexpectedly and wait until 31st January 2018 to make your payment as you will not be able to make it by personal credit card.

What’s an Accountant for?

What’s an Accountant for?

Why does anyone need an accountant?  

How do they help me?  

What do they do anyway?

Here’s my answers to those questions:

Keeping you Legal.  We help you do your financial administration so you file everything you need to, on time, every time.

Saving Tax.  We help you save tax by making sure you do things in a way that incurs as little tax as possible.

Understanding your taxes.  Helping you understand how you are taxed, so you can plan for it.

Knowing your numbers.  Helping you understand your business by interpreting the numbers for you, so you can make decisions based on fact not just intuition.

Making you rich.  Helping you put a plan together so you can get your personal finances in order and meet your financial goals.

Budgeting and forecasting.  Planning for the future, so you can arrange your finances effectively.

Support.  Your accountant is probably one of the few people you can talk to with complete honesty about your business.  He knows the facts, so there is no need to show off or for false modesty.  

If you need any help with these, you know where we are.

Jess Brooks